Nathaniel Bassey hails from Lagos, Nigeria. He is a Nigerian jazz gospel singer and a lovely husband to Sarah Ebuk. He has paved a successful and righteous path for himself in the Nigerian gospel music scene. There is no doubt that the passionate jazz player and musician has brought some anointness to the gospel industry.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about Nathaniel Bassey:
1. Nathaniel Bassey was born in Lagos, Nigeria.
2. He holds a degree in Politics and International Relations from the University of London. He also studied popular music and music business at the Middlesex University Summer School in UK.
3. His father is Joshua Bassey, who was a minister in The Apostolic Church Bashua Assembly.
4. His passion for gospel was inspired by a Nigerian gospel icon, Dr Panam Percy Paul.
5. He developed an interest in jazz music and went on to perform on jazz concerts like the music Louis Armstrong. And later he joined the jazz quartet in Lagos called the “Spectrum 4”.
6. He was approached by Elder Steve Rhodes to lead the first Jazz Orchestra in the country called “The Steve Rhodes Orchestra”.
7. Before breaking through the music scene, he was a band leader and trumpet player.
8. He got the ears of top artists like Paul Peterson, Funsho Ogundipe and Peter King who seeked his musical ingenuity.
9. He was under the guidance and mentorship of late Pastor Eskor Mfon, a former pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God.
10. He is the director of music at the Redeemed Christian Church of God. His debut album “Elohim” which was released in 2008 was recorded in Cape Town, South Africa.