The veteran Nollywood film director, Obi Emelonye was on 24 March 1967 in Nigeria. He is known for directing award winning films like Onye Ozi, The Mirror Boy and Last Flight to Abuja. He has worked with prominent entertainments stars which has contributed to the blockbuster films that he produces. The 49-years-old filmmaker has definitely been a source of inspiration and encouragement to many entertainment stars in Nigeria and throughout Africa.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the veteran Nigerian film director, Obi Emelonye:
1. Obi Emelonye was on 24 March 1967.
2. He was a former professional football player.
3. He is known for directing award winning films like Onye Ozi, The Mirror Boy and Last Flight to Abuja.
4. He holds a Law Degree and BA (Hons) Theatre Arts degree from the University of Nigeria Nsukka.
5. He completed a Post Graduate Degree in Legal Practice from the London Metropolitan University in 2002 and practiced law for a few years before focusing on film making.
6. He worked as head of production at the UK’s first African Caribbean satellite TV channel, BEN TV.
7. He established his own production company called “The Nollywood Factory”, which has offices in the UK and Nigeria.
8. The Nollywood Factory released the first Nollywood film theatrically on UK screens in 2004 titled “Echoes of War”.
9. He has worked with prominent entertainment stars like Mercy Johnson, Hakeem Kae-Kazim, Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Jim Iyke and Genevieve Nnaji to mention a few.
10. He has been profiled by CNN as ‘the future of Nollywood’ in a series of interviews including the iconic African Voices programme in September 2012.