These heavyweights of Africa’s popular music include artists who have won the most prestigious award in world music, The Grammy, amongst other awards. They include:
- South Africa’s Ladysmith Black Mambazo winners of 5 Grammy Awards for the recording of the single ‘Shaka Zulu’ and the albums ‘Raise Your Spirit Higher’, ‘Ilembe: Honoring Shaka Zulu’, ‘Live: Singing for Peace around the World’ and ‘Shaka Zulu Revisited: 30th Anniversary Celebration.’
- Mali’s Ali Faka Touré winner of 3 Grammy Awards for his albums ‘Talking Timbuktu’, ‘In the Heart of the Moon’ and Ali and Toumani’.
- Benin’s Angélique Kidjo winner of 3 Grammy Awards for her albums ’Djin Djin’, ‘Eve’ and ‘Sings.’
- South Africa’s Soweto Gospel Choir winners of 3 Grammy Awards for their albums ‘Blessed’, ‘African Spirit’ and their single “Baba Yetu”.
- Northern Mali’s Tinariwen also known as ‘blue men of the Sahara’ winners of 1 Grammy Award for their album ‘Tassili.’
- Senegal’s Youssou Ndour winner of 1 Grammy Award for his album ‘Winds of Samsara’.
- Nigeria’s Sikiru Adepoju won 2009 Best Contemporary World Music Album
To help you enjoy all your favourite music from the continent, JOOX have specially curated various AfriKa theme playlists that include: