Obiora Obiwon born as Obiora Nwokolobia-Agu (born 9 June 1977) is a father of two and a Nigerian multi-talented musician who is currently signed to 3Music record label. The evangelist, singer-songwriter, event host and recording artiste has shown that through dedication and hard work everything is possible. There is no doubt that the multi-award winner has definitely paved a successful path for himself in the Nigerian music industry.
Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the multi-award winner, Obiora Obiwon:
1. Obiora Obiwon was born on 9 June 1977 in Enugu, Nigeria.
2. At the age of 15, he performed at local streets and hang outs and went on to writing songs.
3. His father, Humphrey Nwokolobia-Agu originated from Eastern Nigeria and was a music composer. He is signed to 3Music record label.
4. He studied Agricultural Extension and graduated from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka in 2001.
5. He moved to Lagos in 2002 for NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) and worked as a teller in a bank in Lagos. While working at the bank, he formed a hip hop group called “Thorobreds”. In 2005 the group won the Best Rap Group at the HipHop World Awards in Nigeria.
6. He is married to Nkechi Obioma Ezeife and has two children, a girl aged at 4 and a son aged at 2.
7. His stage name “Obiwon” was given to him by his uncle, who named him after a science fiction hero. He later changed his stage name to “Obiora Obiwon” after he faced a spiritual experience.
8. In 2006, he went on to release his hit single “Onyinye” which won him the Best Vocal Male Performance award. He was also honoured at the Nigeria Music Awards with Nigeria’s Voice of the Decade award.
9. He released his first Gospel album as Obiora Obiwon in 2009, which had the Nigerian wedding anthem and hit love song “Obi Mu O” dedicated to his fiancée. In 2013, at the National Gospel Awards, he received his first gospel music award for Best Crossover Act of the Year.
10. His second gospel album “Gold Water” featured gospel artists like Frank Edwards, Kenny K’ore and Eben, which won the Best Collaboration award at the Crystal Awards in 2014.