Help

Fuel Explosion Kills Family In Lagos

A man and his two daughters have been reported dead following an explosion caused by stored petrol in Somolu area of Lagos state. The victim identified as Shabi and his daughters; 18 year old Mistura  and 16 year old Adura , were reportedly burnt to death following te explosion which occured in their home on the night of 5th April, 2016.

shabu explosion

Reports reveal that the explosion had been caused by some jerry cans of petroleum products which had been stored in their home located in 5, Adebiyi street, Somolu Oja in Lagos.

The director of the Lagos State Fire Service, Rasak Fadipe, while speaking with PM News revealed that the jerry cans of petrol had been stored close to the kitchen where the family cooked their meal.

The level of fuel scarcity in Nigeria is at its highest since the birth of the nation. It has shaken the economy of the nation as a whole and especially the economy of private business owners whose businesses depend largely on the use of fuel – taxi and bus drivers for example. The fuel scarcity situation which causes them to queue for several hours before getting to fill their fuel tanks for business could drive them to take extreme measures to store fuel.

Even though the occupation of Mr. Shabi was not revealed, it is not very surprising that many Nigerians now store this petroleum product in their apartments despite the danger its presence in a home would cause.

The news of the explosion and the death of Shabi and his two daughters should serve as a warning to Nigerians who store fuel in their homes out of desperation, as well as those who are planning to take on such acts.

 

Tags
Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button
Close
Close