Africa is blessed with beautiful women with different shapes and sizes. While every figure and body type is a blessing from God and should not be looked down on, the society in general seems to view women on the plus size range in a different light. Plus size women do not have to assume that because of their body structure, they can not be fashionable.
Here are a few fashion tips for plus size women.
1. The first thing is to know the basics of how to accentuate or hide certain areas of your body. The colors, cut and patterns you wear can draw people’s eyes toward or away from your figure. Here are some basics:
- Dark colors hide, while light colors highlight. So if you like your waist, wear a light belt over a dark shirt. If you want to hide your bottom half, wear dark pants and a lighter top.
- Big patterns will make you look bigger, while small patterns can make you look smaller.
- Avoid horizontal stripes. Stripes are okay on plus size clothing if they are diagonal or vertical. If you want to look larger in the bust area, horizontal stripes will enhance the bust line.
2. Wear well-fitting undergarments. Not oversize and not undersize. It’s true that your underclothes are the foundation of your look – it’s hard to look good when you’re wearing flimsy underwear that doesn’t support you sufficiently.
- Buy a bra that fits. Not only will a good bra help lift your figure and make you look younger, it’ll help you avoid backaches. If you’re not sure what your size is, visit a department store for a fitting.
- To lose a bit of girth around your hips and thighs, wear low-legged, high-waisted underwear in a firm, supportive cotton.
- Make sure you have sufficient coverage. Underwear that’s too small is not underwear you should buy.
3. Find fits and textiles that will flatter your bottom half. If you tend to carry your weight in your hips and legs (that is, you’re “pear-shaped”), pay extra attention to these tips:
- Seek out tailored skirts and trousers. Avoid flared pants and wide-leg trousers
- Avoid shapeless garments, like broomstick skirts and “one-size” dresses. Instead, find something with a nipped waist.
- If you’re looking for a skirt, you can’t go wrong with an A-line cut. Avoid pencil skirts as this shapes and outlines your hips and waist. However, skirts such as skater skirts would really bring out the beauty in every individual .
- Buy at least one pair of well-fitting jeans. Skinny or straight-leg jeans in a dark wash look great.
- Be very careful with leggings. For some women, a long shirt or dress with leggings is a slimming and fashionable look. However, if you have larger hips, thighs, or bottom, it can look awful.
to be continued…