- Slavery is still practiced in certain parts of Africa
In Mauritania slavery is part of the social order. Those with a darker skin considered inferior. According to the walk free foundation “there are approximately 155,600 out of 3.8 million Mauritanians trapped in slavery. Proportionally Mauritania boasts the worst rate of modern day slavery in the world”
- Feminicide in Democratic republic of Congo
The democratic republic of congo is one of the most dangerous places in the world for women. The rate of sexual violence against women and children is very high, this is committed with impunity by state armed forces, police and rebels alike
- 41% of children in Africa aged 5 to 14 are involved in child labour
Africa has the greatest incidence of economically active, on average, more than 30% of African children between 10 and 14 are agricultural workers. In Rwanda, there are an estimated 400,000 child workers. Of these, 120,000 are thought to be involved in the worst forms of child labour and 60,000 are child domestic workers.
- Facebook has 100 million active users in Africa.
Facebook has 100 million monthly active users in Africa, this is equal to half of Africa’s Internet users are visiting the social network each month. This provides a great platform for businesses to market their services and products.
- Married women among the Dogon people of West Africa would publicly pursue extramarital relationships with encouragement from their mothers.
According to Wikipedia is “an ethnic group living in the central plateau region of the country of Mali, in Western Africa, south of the Niger bend, near the city of Bandiagara, in the Mopti region.” This practice even though is being out dated can still be found in certain part of their society.
- There is a beer brewed from bananas in Africa
In East Africa it is called known as urwa or Lubisi, in central Africa Kasiksi or urwagwa.
Commercial brands include:
Mongozo Banana Beer, Raha or Agashya
- Most of the world’s fastest runners come from a single tribe in Kenya, they are mostly “Kalenjins”
Can anybody explain this?
Top 10 marathon times of all time (men):
2h03:38 Patrick Makau Kenya
2h03:42 Wilson Kipsang Kenya
2h03:59 Haile Gebrselassie Ethiopia
2h04:15 Geoffrey Mutai Kenya
2h04:16 Dennis Kimetto Kenya
2h04:23 Ayele Abshero Ethiopia
2h04:27 Duncan Kibet Kenya
2h04:27 James Kwambai Kenya
2h04:38 Tsegaye Kebede Ethiopia
2h04:40 Emmanuel Mutai Kenya
- Ugandan dictator Idi Amin’s official title was “His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular.”
Idi Amin Dada was the third President of Uganda from 1971 to 1979.
- The first president of Zimbabwe, Africa, was President Banana.
Isn’t it Ironic that Zimbabwe is referred to as the banana republic?
The first president of that country was called Canaan Sodindo Banana. The name canaan could have been that he promised to take them to the promised land where grows banana.
- The San people of Southern Africa today use the same set of tools that were found in a Cave, dating to 44,000 years ago.
The san people have kept to their ways and tradition for such a long time. They have an old and rich culture. Amazing that time has stood still for them